livetoread

D_Reads

Sharing a love of reading and books with everyone!

The Lady Risks All - Stephanie Laurens I've read many Stephanie Laurens books and they usually are either hit or miss for me. There will be a book where I really enjoyed the characters or one that I couldn't connect to them at all. The Lady Risks All was different; I really enjoyed parts of the story and its characters and some of the parts I had issues with. Born of a union between local gentry and the son of a mill owner, spinster Miranda was raised to always be conscious of her tenuous place in society. She spent her days taking care of her elderly (and very proper) aunt and her younger brother. However, when her brother disappears, she threw propriety out the window and enlisted the help of neighbor and notorious gambling kingpin, Neville Roscoe, to help her find him. It was at this point that I developed issues. After hearing Miranda chastised daily (either by her aunt or herself), it was hard to believe she could forget twenty years of "conditioning" after only a couple of days of worrying about her brother. I've only heard of one instance that causes a personality change overnight: severe head trauma. Which did not happen here; Miranda was mental, but not like that.Whatever the cause, Miranda developed a backbone in the middle of the story and embark with Roscoe on a journey across England to find her brother. There were moments when Miranda fell back into the criticizing mindset of before, but eventually she got herself in order. Here is where I felt the best part of the book emerged. Miranda blossoms as a character during this section. She became independent; she took responsibility for her actions and acknowledged that she was attracted to a man who did not fit the notion of what was acceptable in a proper mate. You might ask why I don't mention Roscoe's character and the changes he underwent. I did not feel he grew or changed overall as much in character as Miranda did. He did not need to change. He stayed relatively true to himself, no matter his name. Plus, he didn't personally bother me as much as Miranda did. After they rescued her brother and she discovered Roscoe's secret, Miranda reverted to the old self-doubting and societally concerned Miranda. It was a struggle to watch her back slide after coming so far in the middle. I wanted to slap her and tell her to get her shit together and stop wavering!The last part of the story was Roscoe and Miranda trying to figure out who wanted to harm her brother. I won't say exactly how it ends, but will say I had a hard time believing it. I think my notes read something like "Really?" or "Srsly now?!" and "Hmm". I had more notes, but they were all variations of the previous words. For the most part, I did enjoy this story. Roscoe's family was fun and Roscoe himself was definitely worth reading about. The parts where Miranda showed her independent side and stood up for herself were wonderful, but the points where she was wishy-washy made me quickly tap my reader to for the next page.In a way, The Lady Risks All reminded me of the old Signet Romances and Barbara Cartlands I read back in the day. Definitely the descriptions of the sex scenes were flowery in their terminology and tended to be skim over the good bits. If you enjoy those types of stories, then you will undoubtedly enjoy this one.