livetoread

D_Reads

Sharing a love of reading and books with everyone!

The Nymph’s Labyrinth - Danica Winters Ariadne Papadakis is tasked with protecting the secret of the Labyrinth and the existence of nymph's. Her job is to make sure archaeologist Beau Morris finds no clues regarding the Labyrinth and it's history; she is to shut down his dig with all possible haste. However, as Ari gets to know Beau, she finds he is not the monster originally thought and could be disastrous for her health.Greek mythology paranormal romances usually equal all kinds of love for me. I have been fascinated with that pantheon since elementary school. But... Yes, the but. My main problem: this story felt very rushed. At points it felt as if the current story was a summary of bigger one, skimping on details and characters interaction. I cannot recall a physical description of any of the characters, with the exception of Kaeden. (The media kit described this as a 300 page book but my iPad had it at 133. I know I received an uncorrected galley but it can't have whole pages of details missing can it?) I'm not sure if the author described them and they were so unmemorable I quickly forgot or if they were left out. Some characters, like Stavros and Kat, I didn't like at all and could find no redeeming qualities in them like Ariadne did. I would have liked more thoughts from her explaining her reasons for being so tolerant.To go along with that rushed feeling without any explanation, was the quick or sudden appearance of characters with no provided background information. In the space of 133 (or 300, still not sure) pages, I met almost ten different characters, with almost half of them just appearing on scene without any lead up. Beau's son just appeared at the door to Beau's office. The witch Tammy just showed up at lunch with Kat and Ari one day to do a job for Kat. No explanation of her powers, what job she was supposed to do; she even started talking about people and instances that had apparently happened before this story and had some kind of impact on this story. I think the author was trying not to reveal too much at once; that old advice of start in the middle of the action and explain a little at a time. In this case, I think a little more explanation would have gone a long way toward increasing my enjoyment of the book. I can't say that I hated this book I was excited with the use of Greek mythology and the unique premise of shape-shifting nymphs. Yet, I cannot say I enjoyed it either. The brevity details kept me becoming involved in the story. Maybe if I read a final copy to see if the story was improved, I would have a higher rating. In the end, I put this story right in the middle of "meh" territory: not great but not bad. *Review copy provided by publisher/promoter for honest review.